My First Cronut at Drip Cafe

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The cronut. Deep fried, doused in butter, sickeningly sweet in the best way possible. Would you believe that I've yet to have one? Well, that is until Taiwan. It seems like for a while everyone was talking about them, especially while I was in New York. Ansel in Soho is after all where it was born. I didn't get one then... I don't know what it is about me, but I don't like to give into food hype -- more often than not, expectations just fall into disappointment.  

But then eventually FOMO (or "fear of missing out") rolls around and I start to feel kinda bummed knowing that I've never had one. While I was in Taipei, I stumbled onto Stephanie's post over at her blog The Thousandth Girl about a restaurant in the Xinyi district serving chocolate cronuts that sell out like crazy. Call it fate? 

It's called Drip Cafe

We took a cab to Drip at around noon. I was a little hesitant going at such a rush hour, cause Stephanie wrote that the wait for this place can go on forever. I guess the cronut craze is just as big in Taiwan as anywhere else. Luckily, we managed to beat the line and only had to wait about 15 minutes. 

The menu extends past just coffee and desserts to sandwiches and brunch and pastas and smoothies. But I wasn't about to get blindsided. I was there for only one thing. 

Because the restaurant was so packed, the service was a little slow. Not a problem. I'll just take this time to show you some of those model poses I promised.. -_-


**Wow, I have a huuuge forehead. And don't even get me started on my lopsided smile**
That's all you get for today!

The interior was simple but just my style. Concrete floors, wooden furniture, and an open kitchen. It was a little cramped, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to keep up with an ever-growing waiting list.


So what's the verdict? It was good! A+ for presentation! But I thought it'd be softer, like a freshly baked doughnut, and flakier, like how croissants are meant to be. Maybe that's what happens when you deep fry pastry dough?

I forgot to mention that Drip has two kinds of cronut: the chocolate banana cronut (pictured here) and the strawberry cream. If you know me in real life, you'd know that I'm not chocolate's biggest fan, so maybe the strawberry would have been a better pick. But the former is their most popular item so I just went with what the reviews told me. 

I love discovering new bloggers who write about their city. If it weren't for Stephanie, then I would never have found Drip and made my cronut dreams come true. I only hope mine does what hers did for me for you!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe