Old Friends

Friday, January 02, 2015

Who knows you better than your childhood friends? I've known some of my closest friends since I was like 10. Looking back, Yoon Ah was my first best friend when I moved to a new school in the fourth grade. She was in Mrs. Garcia's class while I was in Mr. Nedell's. I can't remember exactly how we met... What matters is that we've stayed close ever since. 

She goes to university in Vancouver and I haven't seen her in about two years, but timing finally worked out this year! She's only been to Hongdae once in her entire life (.......) and since good company always calls for good food, I took her out to a 맛집 donburi joint and for some famous Hongdae strawberry and cream cake.

홍대 구루메's 이로이로 떠먹는 초밥
E-ro-e-ro sashimi don from Hongdae's Gurumeh

Tuna and salmon sashimi atop fragrant rice with sweet potato tempura and roe 

Next: Hongdae's Peony

You know I take desserts very seriously...

And Peony's strawberry and cream cake is out of this world good! If you walk around Hongdae, you're bound to see a few people toting around a Peony take out box. I swear everybody loves it! And I love you Yoon Ah <3 I'm so glad we got to see each other!

Then a few days before I took flight to Taipei, I met up with my friend Joe. I met Joe at church a few years ago. Back then, we'd talk about what we wanted to do with life and our dreams and all that... Today, Joe is making moves to make his happen! He's taken the leap and flew over to LA to study architecture and I couldn't be happier for him. 

We caught up on lost time at Uncles.  

Just look at thaaaattttt. It's spicy rice cake ttukbokki 떡볶이 with an entire fried squid on top.

If I'm being honest, I've had much better ttukbokki on street food carts, but it makes for a cool looking picture, don't you think? Joe's a little camera shy... But anyway, I wish you all the luck in the world Joe, and I expect your first building to be named after me ^^

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe