Ash Wednesday

Wednesday, February 18, 2015


Today is Ash Wednesday and that means it's time for Lent. For those not in the know, it's a time of sacrifice observed by many Christians over the 40 days before Easter. It is traditionally a period of fasting where you're only supposed to eat one meal a day from Monday to Saturday, but lately many choose to give up one vice for the entire time period instead. It could be anything, really -- from chocolates to Facebook to cocktails -- just so long as it's something it's a small pleasure that you can offer as a sacrifice. Now, despite the fact that I was a chapel acolyte for more than eight years, I've never really been much of a religious person. I've never managed to follow through with Lenten fasts, but think this year's as good as time as any to start. It's the thought of sacrifice that matters after all, right? 

My biggest vice would probably be my massive sweet tooth. I'm a strong believer that everyone deserves to indulges every now and then, but lately, for me, it's been getting a bit out of hand. So for the next 40 days, I vow to give it up. That means cakes and cookies and lollies and gummi bears. I already know it's going to be an uphill battle. Now that I can't have it, the dessert menu feels even more appealing. At least I'll be killing two birds with one stone -- it's #38 on my 101 in 1001! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe