Everest Restaurant, Dongdaemun

Friday, December 26, 2014



There's nothing like butter naan as big as your forearm and a pot of chicken curry on Christmas Eve is there? Or is that just me? 

On the day before the big day, I was craving something creamy, a little spicy, with a kick of sweet and tangy, and soothing to the innards on these most fearsome cold winter days. Indian food! Perfect! Because we were both alone for the holidays (sob) I called up my friend Daisy and made the trek up to Everest Restaurant in Dongdaemun. I Googled "The Best Indian Restaurant in Seoul" and Everest popped up in pretty much all the forums I browsed. Although it classifies itself as a Nepali restaurant, it also offers Indian and Tibetan delicacies. Quality food without the smugness, as someone put it.  

The first thing that hits you as you walk in, other than the comforting aroma of curry in the air, is the restaurant's mint green walls. There was a Bollywood film playing from a suspended flat screen, and the panels were decorated with little Nepali figurines and drawings. I imagine if I had a Nepali grandmother, this is exactly how her home would look like. 

And I suspect her cooking would be just as wonderful.




There were at least twenty different curries to choose from, as well as number of other entrees. To be honest, Daisy and I were a little overwhelmed, but with the help of the lovely staff (who all spoke Korean beautifully), we narrowed it down to the ginger chicken curry and mutton curry. 

Upon reading loads of recommendations online, we added an order of samosas to start. 



Two butter naan, but really with a naan that size, one would be plenty for two. It was sweet and paired nicely with the hot curries, although I wish I had gotten a garlic naan to try, too.

And two basmati rice. A mango lassi for me, and a plain one for her.



It was everything I hoped it would be, but what'll really floor you is the bill. "Exotic" cuisine (meaning anything other than Korean food) can be unreasonably pricey in Korea. I don't really know why anyone would pay 14,000 won for a plain ol' turkey sandwich, but I've seen it happen... At the end of our meal, Daisy and I split the cost between 32,000 won, which is a steal considering how much we ate and that we were just about ready to loosen the notches of our belts. 

The holidays are meant to bring people together, and what does that better than a table chock-full of unpretentious food. But then again, Everest will be sure to do just that at any time of year.

P.S. I apologize for the heavy saturation of my photos :( I'd lost the charger to my camera and have had to resort to using my iPhone, which just so happens doesn't do very well in low-light settings.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe