My First Gopchang Intestine Experience

Friday, May 15, 2015

More than once I found myself walking past a restaurant that left my mouth watering, and I swear it was always a gopchang restaurant. For those of you who don't know, gopchang 곱창 is intestines. I know, it grossed me out too. But how can something that smells so amazing *_* be bad? Curiosity finally got the best of me and I took the plunge. Hwangso Gopchang Gui 황소곱창구이 is one of the famous gopchang places in Sinchon. 60 years of business must mean they're doing something right!

I went on a Monday and it was still really busy. Not only that, it was cramped and loud and everything felt greasy. But the smell...If unhealthy but oh-so-good had a smell it would be gopchang. I ordered two helpings of their signature and waited patiently.

In just a few seconds, ta-daaa! Sizzling cow guts with a mountain of Chinese leek. Oh, and sliced up potatoes and onions to mix it up a bit.

You have to be careful not to keep flipping the intestines (what an awkward sentence) and just leave them be to crisp up. After about five to eight minutes, turn them over once, and don't forget to give the veggies a little mix so they cook evenly too. And just look how incredible that looks... Just close your eyes and pretend it's samgyupsal.

How did it taste? The texture was completely new to me, and something oozes out when you take a bite. It was weird. It was really chewy. It was different. But it wasn't bad especially when dunked in spicy soy then wrapped with a ton of leek. 

I'd probably have it again

Hwangso Gopchang Gui 황소곱창구이
Seoul, Seodaemun-gu, Changcheong-dong 52-48
서울시 서대문구 창천동 52-48
(02) 997-2640

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe