My LASEK Eye Surgery Experience in Dream Eye Center Seoul

Sunday, July 19, 2015



About two months ago, I got LASEK eye surgery. My eyesight wasn't awful, but I still had to wear contacts/glasses everyday. I've wanted to get laser surgery for the longest time, and now that I'm done with college, I thought now was as good a time as any to take the plunge.

Where did I go? I went to Dream Eye Center Gangnam 드림성모안과 감남. It was the only clinic I visited, and just decided to stick with it after reading all the wonderful reviews online and undergoing the consultation. I requested for one through their website (click here!) and shortly after, they rang my cell to confirm a time. The consultation is free of charge and takes about an hour in total. If you wear contacts, they ask you to keep them off for at least five days before the consultation, so that your eyes have time to normalize so that they can perform all the tests to see if you qualify for the surgery. I wasn't quite sure what that meant so...I just did as they told me to, haha.

How was the consultation? It was a breeze! I went through about 10 tests. Nothing scary, it was kind of like getting my eyes tested for a new pair of glasses. My consultant was named Choi Jung-Im and she really went out of her way to explain what each machine was measuring. Afterwards, we went into a little room where she told me that I was a great fit for either of the surgeries, LASIK or LASEK, and I'd just have to choose which one fit my lifestyle best. It turns out some people aren't suitable for LASIK, which is why these tests are so important.

I then met with my doctor, Dr. Koo Tae-Hyung, who looked at my eyes and answered all my questions. Everyone was really accommodating and understanding to all my inhibitions. These were my eyes after all. Towards the end, they put in special drops into your eyes to make them dilate for one particular test, and they'll be really sensitive to light afterwards. I recommend bringing a pair of sunglasses or at least a hat with you.

The surgery? I ended up going with LASEK. More specifically, the M-LASEK. LASIK patients, when engaged in an active lifestyle, are more at risk of complications. LASEK is the more recent development in laser eye surgery, and, although there is a longer recovery time, I felt it was the safer choice for me in the long run. If I wanted to do something crazy, like say, skydiving or kickboxing, my eyes are more likely to be okay. Read more about what sets them apart here.

On the day of the surgery, I went in and they checked my eyes one last time to make sure that nothing had gone awry between then and my consultation. When I was given the okay, I was given a prescription for some medicated eye drops and artificial tears to pick up before the surgery just so I wouldn't have to be bothered after the surgery. Soon after, I was taken into the back room where they took a bit of my blood to make a special set of serum eye drops for faster recovery, sanitized my face, put some anesthetic drops in, and then laid me down on a bed below the laser. Dr. Koo came in shortly, clamped open my eyes and then went on with it. The anesthesia worked beautifully and I didn't feel a thing! It was pretty daunting seeing all the instruments he was holding, but super trippy not being able to feel them on my eyes. There was a point when he told me to stare up at the laser, and I did my best not to move at all. This is super important! The lasers are high-tech enough to detect movement and follow along with it, but to do your part in ensuring the surgery goes well, just stay still!

I think it was over in less than 15 minutes. Afterwards, the nurses took me to a small recovery room next door. They put on some jazz music and let me lay there for about an hour. I ended up falling asleep. There was one last check with Dr. Koo and then I was free to go! Jung-Im had all my eye drops nicely packaged and ready for me at the front desk. She also gave me a booklet with some post-op guidelines and a little congratulatory note. It's the little things, don't you think? I had a friend come take me home, but I think I could've made my way back fine on my own. My vision was tiny bit blurry, but definitely better than it was before. I took the subway and all was well on the first day.

I had to take anti-inflammatory and antibiotic drops four times a day, and wear these funny looking googles when I slept to prevent any unconscious rubbing. They gave me two bottles of serum eye drops made out of the blood they took earlier. It's supposed to speed up the recovery time -- read more about it here.

Day Two: 
Life got real boring real fast. No phone, no TV, I couldn't even read a book... I didn't plan ahead and wasn't able to queue any podcasts or audiobooks. I spent most of the day just laying at home and playing with Captain. Everything looked pretty fuzzy still. More than feeling pain, I just felt discomfort, particularly on my right eye.

Day Three: 
The discomfort from Day 2 escalated to serious irritation overnight. You know that feeling when there's a speck of dust in your eye, or when your contact lens has a scratch on it? It felt like that every time I blinked :( I started tearing like crazy and I just wanted to claw my eyes out! It was a little bit better when I closed my eyes, so I ended up sleeping most of Day 3. I texted my consultant when the pain got almost unbearable, and she said that it's normal for one eye to be a little more irritated than the other. She also said that Day 3 is usually the worst and that it should be better by tomorrow or the next day. Zzzzzzz...

And onwards: 
Day 3 was definitely the worst. I went in for my first check up five days after my surgery. The doc said everything looked great and that the surgery was a complete success. I needed to come in again in about two weeks and to continue using the drops. I wasn't allowed to use eye make-up for about a week and a half, and I couldn't wash my face for about a week. I was also told to avoid smokey areas and refrain from drinking alcohol. That part kind of sucked, but to be honest I wasn't interested in being anywhere that required a washed face and eyeliner. I'd also suggest drinking lots of water to keep hydrated and to wear sunglasses at all times, even when indoors!

My vision got better steadily. I think by two weeks, everything was pretty clear. I have to say that my right eye is still a little bit blurrier than my left. It gets dryer faster, too, but they said it's normal, so I'm just going to have to trust that in a few more weeks my eyes will have completely settled.

Bottom line: 
If you're thinking about it, I say just do it. Waking up with clear vision is amazing. Staying up at night without having your contacts dry up is amazing. Not worrying about scratched up lenses or misplaced glasses is amazing. I love my new eyes and have no regrets.

Dream Eye Center was the right decision for me. Not only was the surgery a success, Dr. Koo kept me at ease the throughout the whole process and the staff was so accommodating and great at keeping me informed. I was able to use the latest machine available for LASEK called Amaris Red, which is pretty cool. According to my consultant, patients come in looking specifically for this machine.

There are tons of eye clinics around the city, and while it is a pricey procedure, I just want to remind people that these are your eyes! Do your homework and don't gamble with your sight!!!


Dream Eye Center Gangnam 드림성모안과 감남
14th F, Mijin Plaza, 825, Yeoksam-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul - Subway Line No. 2 Exit 1
서울특별시 강남구 역삼동 미진플라자 14층 2호선 1번출구
(02) 554-8400

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous post. Thanks for sharing information about it. I really like that. Thanks so lot for your convene. YaldoEyeCenter.com

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe