Jas Climbing Gym

Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Back when I was living in New York in the summer, a couple of friends took me to Brooklyn Boulders and I was instantly hooked. It's like rock climbing, but without the gear and with shorter walls. Time flew by like it was nothing, and I think we spent a good four hours just climbing. The only thing that stopped us from trekking on were our sore and aching fingers. A couple of months ago, I was scrolling through Instagram, and I saw someone at a place that looked very much like BB. I packed a bag, threw on some trainers, and I was out the door.

It's called Jas Climbing Gym & Shop near Apgujeong Rodeo. Mingni and John tagged along too. They were pretty skeptical at first and didn't think it would be very fun. When I said bouldering, they expected rock climbing with harnesses and 50 feet walls. But just they wait...this is so much better. You have nothing but your little fingers and toes to lift you up. You really gotta think about what your next move is gonna be. And when you fall, you just fall. Just trust me, it's great.

Instead of using just colors to map out your climbing path, like they did in BB, they mark numbers too, so you know exactly where to go. But they definitely don't make it easy for you.. Even the lowest level pushes you to twist and bend into muscle straining positions, and sometimes, especially for shorties like me, even jump to get to the next peg.

Just something different to do, either by yourself or with groups of people. They offer climbing classes here too!


By morning, my forearms felt like they were gonna fall right off. But...I kinda liked it. It was the good kind of sore you get after a good workout. It lets me know I'm actually getting off my butt for once.

Jas Climbing Gym & Shop 
Seoul, Gangnam-gu, Sinsa-dong 529-4
서울시 강남구 신사동 529-4
(02) 3445-5014

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe