Tuk Tuk Noodle Thai

Friday, June 12, 2015

Ever since it opened in 2011, Tuk Tuk Noodle Thai 툭툭누들타이 has quickly become the hottest spot for authentic Thai food this side of the city. Located in a hill on Yeonnam-dong with nothing but a dingy sign by its entrance, it doesn't look like anything special. But just you wait... No, really, you're gonna have to wait at least 30 minutes to an hour for a table.

I went with one of my favorite people Minkyung :) She's been busy preparing for the civil services exam (at least I think that's what it's called) so it's been almost impossible to set up a date to hang out, but by some miracle she finally managed to escape all the books and revisions. I told her there was this Thai place I've been wanting to go to in Yeonnam-dong. She was just as excited and it turns out we were thinking about the same place! 
*Friendship Telepathy* 

We got there at around 7-ish, and we had to wait a bit for a table, but what's nice about this place is that you can leave them your cellphone number and they'll give you a call when they're ready. That way you can wander around the back alleys. There's a flea market every Saturday where people sell hand-made jewelry, painted postcards, and other little knick-knacks. There's also a few artisan coffee shops and cute boutiques. It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to roam these backstreets on the weekend and just window shop.

We settled down at a cafe near the restaurant and sipped on fancy roasted coffees.

I don't remember there being a moment of silence and talked and talked and caught up on everything and the minutes just flew by. In no time at all, my phone buzzed and our table was ready!

What struck me most about this place was how un-smokey the place was. This is definitely a well-ventilated restaurant (....what a dork, who says that...?). The lights were dimmed, the specials were written in Thai on the chalkboard, and many of ingredients were out on display.  Also, just like it's sister restaurant, Soi Yeonnam, the chefs all seem to be Thai!


Minkyung was here once before with her family, and said we absolutely had to get the shrimp cakes. I was most looking forward to a steamy bowl of sour Tom Yum soup, but Minkyung wasn't a fan so we skipped it. More the reason to come back next time ;)

Tod Man Kung Fried Shrimp Cakes
The best-selling shrimp cakes. *_* These were so, so, so good. Thai people really know their appetizers, don't they? The spring rolls at Soi were also incredible... These were perfectly crispy, pipping hot, and this time I'm positive the dipping sauce is made with crack. 

Pad Kra Pao Gai Chicken Stir-fry with Basil and Rice
Chicken with basil is one of my favorite Thai dishes, but they don't sell it as is here, but with fried rice. I think I would've liked it better separately. 

Pad See Ew 
Pad Thai's less famous cousin... Just give it chance, people! I read reviews that claimed that the Pad See Ew here is the most authentic, so take your pick from shrimp, chicken, or beef (we went with shrimp) and you'll have yourself a salty, slightly spicy, oyster saucy, and very satisfying noodle dish.

My friends are so pretty ^^

I think it's been about six months since I last saw Minkyung and we just had so much to catch up on and the chatter never stopped that our food ended up getting cold! No!!!! This is why I don't really have much to say... But it was still delicious. The portions were a lot bigger than I expected and I think we ordered a little too much for the two of us. They're definitely made to share family-style, my best way to eat!


Tuk Tuk Noodle Thai 툭툭누들
Seoul, Mapo-gu, Yeonnam-dong, Yeonhi-ro 37
서울시 마포구 연남동  227-37
070-4407-5130

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe