Sinchon Lamb Skewers Etc.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

On one very gloomy Wednesday, M and I were on the prowl for something to fill our empty bellies. We were thinking budaechigae at first, then I realized that we hadn't had any meat yet since he arrived. I have a bit of a soft spot for things on sticks cause they remind me street markets and holidays, so instead of the regular ol' samgyupsal, I took him for lamb skewers.

There are a few of these skewer places around Sinchon. A lot of them are run by Chinese-born Koreans who've returned to the motherland, so the food is pretty authentic. We just picked one outta the bunch and went to Beijing Yangkkochi 베이징 양꼬치

I've been to one other lamb joint before, and I'm starting to get the feeling that they're not an early dinner kinda place. It was 6:30 pm and M and I were the only ones there. One couple walked in just as we were about to leave, and I didn't see anyone else making their way over. Many, including this one, are open till the wee hours of the morning. Lamb makes for good drunk food, I guess.

David and Mingni said they'd come too, but M and I got there first. We waited for as long as we could for the others (I promise!) but our hunger got the best of us. We ordered a plate of skewers which comes 10 sticks a piece at 9,000 won. A word of warning though, these skewers, while really really good, probably aren't the best choice if you're just about ready to eat the whole lamb. Because of this turny grill thingy, they take reaaaallllyyyy long to cook all the way.

The meat comes out dusted with cumin powder before grilling but you're given a separate dish of seasoning just in case you need a little more kick.



냠냠냠 Tastes like how I imagine Beijing would taste like!

For 이차 aka Round Two, we all went to Cafe 129-11 in Yeonhi-dong.

Yeonhi-dong is a neighborhood pretty close to Sinchon. Just like how fashion trends change, so do the neighborhood trends. Sinchon used to be the "it" place to be once upon a time, then it probably changed to Hongdae then to Gangnam then to Cheongdam. Nowadays, it's Yeonhi! Tons of cute little cafes and speak easys are popping up all around. This is one of them :)

From the looks of their menu, it looks like pretty solid brunch spot. I also eyed a couple of nice looking wine bars whilst walking around. But for tonight, I went with something both sweet and bitter, the affogato:  a shot of espresso with vanilla ice cream  Even though we only had two orders of lamb at dinner, I was pretty stuffed and I wasn't expecting three scoops of ice cream... Well, can't let it go to waste! 



And a side of waffles never hurt nobody :) And just so we're clear, we had everything to share!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe