Little Papa Pho Hapjeong

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

I've been to a few places around the world and had my fair share of different cuisines, but there's just something about the South East Asian palate that I just can't get over, especially my all-time favorite bowl of bright and comforting pho. Maybe it's because I grew up in the region? I've mentioned a few times already how disappointing pho in Korea is, so when I walked passed a massive line outside a tiny shop in Hapjeong called Little Papa Pho, my curiosity spiked. My mind told me no, but my heart was hopeful...

Here's one thing they had going for them: it's not a chain! If you ask me, the chain stores are a guaranteed disappointment. On top of that, there's a Vietnamese chef in the kitchen. And! You can ask for fresh cilantro AND basil (!), not to mention Sriracha and Hoisin sauce is just an arm's reach away. Mmmm so far so good...

I wish hadn't listened to the health nut wannabe living in my head and ordered the fried spring rolls cha gio instead of the fresh vegetable ones... They were generous with the portions and orders were speedy, and I was eager to take that first slurp!!

But! Alas.. It just wasn't what I was looking for :( It wasn't bad, just...another disappointment. Maybe it's just me, because others seemed to think it's pretty good. Well worth waiting in line for from the looks of it! In my opinion, the broth was just a little bit too sweet. It might have been the excess of onions floating around my bowl. And too much cinnamon for my taste.


It seems to be a hit with the locals though! If you're planning on checking it out, I say try to beat the late night crowd and head over for lunch instead, but it always seems to be packed no matter what time you go. I went at around 11 am and still had four parties ahead of me!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe